In this article, we focus on holiday destinations for 2019 and habits of  going to the beach. The topic was approached through an online survey conducted on the questia.ro platform. The research study was active between July 30th and July 31st, 2019 and covered 1000 respondents, with a +/- 3% margin of error when reported to the Romanian online population.

Eat Beach Sleep Repeat

Going to the beach seems to have numerous healthy benefits according to wellness articles. The colour of the sea, the salty smell, the feeling of the sand between our toes and the sound of the waves all contribute to a feeling of relaxation and calm.

The blue colour is associated by many people with peace and calm as looking at the sea or ocean changes our brain waves’ frequency and puts us into a mild meditative state. The sound of the waves activates our parasympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for slowing us down and allowing us to relax and feel more engaged while the simple act of touching the sand induces a recreational state of mind. Moreover, a beach day helps improve sleep quality and let’s not forget about the healthy dose of Vitamin D exposure to natural sunlight provides.  

However, this seems to be a placebo effect as we have been conditioned to think of the beach as a peaceful and relaxing place.

Vamos a la Playa: The Data

Almost half of the respondents (46.5%) have already booked a trip to the seaside for 2019 while almost a quarter (22.2%) preferred the mountain area. Some (14.8%) have planned city-breaks for a 2019 holiday, while 16.5% are not going into a vacation in 2019.

We then asked our respondents where they would rather spend their holiday. A whopping 68.1% prefer to visit Romania in their holiday time, while the rest (31.9%) opt for abroad destinations. Out of those who chose international destinations for their 2019 holiday, the most (87.6%) are visiting an EU country while only 12.4% go on a holiday outside of EU in this year.

Next, we wanted to find out what were the reasons for which respondents chose a holiday in Romania. It seems that the top reasons for choosing a holiday within the Romanian borders are the accessibility of the language and distance (42.7%), the beautiful landscapes Romania has to offer (37.4%) and a civic cause of supporting the Romanian economy (33.4%). Moreover, almost a quarter need to use their vacation tickets received from the government (24.6%) and they can only use them inside Romania while some (23.4%) chose a trip inside the country because the prices are more affordable here.

When faced with a similar question, a majority of respondents (75.2%) chose the quality of services as the top factor for choosing an abroad holiday destination for 2019. More than half (66.2%) said they found better holiday packages in terms of prices for abroad vacations while 50.4% booked an international trip for the interesting tourist attractions.

When it comes to transportation, most respondents prefer the car (63.3%) since the majority opted for a Romanian destination for their holiday. Next comes the plane (17.2%) chosen by 95.3% of respondents who said they booked an international holiday for 2019, followed by train (12.4%) and bus (6%).

Out of those who planned a holiday at the Romanian seaside, most of them are going to the south of Constanta seaside destinations (34.7%), mainly Eforie Nord (18.1%), Costinești (10.5%) and Mangalia (6.1%). Mamaia is visited this year by 32.1% of our respondents.

Furthermore, the best top 3 Romanian seaside resorts are considered to be Mamaia, Eforie Nord and Costinești while the top 3 disappointing resorts are Eforie Sud, Vama Veche and again, Costinești.

When it comes to the improvements respondents would suggest for the Romanian seaside, the top 3 suggestions they thought of were focusing cleaning standards, prices and services offered.

Last but not least, we wanted to know from which sources our respondents get their ideas for holiday trips. It seems that media websites are the most popular, with more than half of respondents (60.1%) getting inspiration from this source, followed by recommendations from family or friends (54.5%) and social media (36.6%). A little over a quarter (27%) get ideas from tourism agencies while some (9.3%) inform themselves about future trips from TV.

If you want to be up to date with the latest trends, subscribe to our newsletter.

Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and on LinkedIn.