Electronics Ownership

This Monday, Questia Group focuses on consumer electronics ownership. Our research was made through an online survey on our platform www.questia.ro covering 1,717 respondents, with a plus or minus 2% margin of error. The survey was active between the 14th and 16th of February 2017. Our findings are presented below.

Overview of the consumer electronics industry

The consumer electronics industry is continuously growing and evolving. It consists of computer, laptops, tablets, mobile phones, smartphones or tablets, TVs and recording devices and so on. According to statista.com “recent statistics show that sales of traditional PCs and laptops have been challenged as a result of increasing tablet sales.” As for smartphones, devices with larger screens often referred to as ‘phablets’ – they are tipped to be the new phenomenon in the future, while the world of TV, LCD-LED technology is expected to dominate over the next 5 years”.

At the global level, although there is a digital divide between less advanced economies and developed economies, smartphone ownership rates in emerging and developing countries are rising at an extraordinary rate, climbing from a median of 21% in 2013 to 37% in 2015. Moreover, internet access and smartphone rates are also related to overall country wealth: richer countries tend to have higher internet access rates and higher reported smartphone ownership.

At the same time, in both developed and developing countries there are two trends that remain constant: 1) people with more education and higher income are more likely to use the internet or own a smartphone than those with lower income and less education; and 2) millennials (18-34-year-olds) are much more likely to be internet and smartphone users, compared with those 35 and older. The need to decrease the digital divide should become a global priority, especially since digitalization is closely connected to economic equality, social mobility, and increased public participation. See more about the effects of the digital divide here.

Findings

As for Romania, in 2016 – 90% of respondents used a mobile phone (basic and smartphone), 93% used a TV, while 57% used a computer (desktop or notebook). The graphic below summarizes these findings, according to Statista .

device usage Statista

Our study focused on consumer electronics ownership, rather than usage. We found out that almost 96% of Romanians own a mobile phone or a smartphone, 92.8% own a TV, 72.8% own a laptop, 61.6% own a computer or desktop and 59.2% a tablet.

device usage Questia

According to another study – “Mobile usage device in Romania” from 2015, 87% of the respondents own a smartphone, 58% own a tablet and only 28% say they own another mobile phone. As for today, 76.3% of our respondents say that they own one phone, while 23.7% say they own more than one.

phone ownership

As for TVs ownership, the majority of our respondents (65.1%) say that they own an LCD/Led TV, 34.9% own a smart TV, while 17.6% own a CRT TV.

TV usage

According to ANCOM (The National Authority for Management and Regulation in Communications of Romania), in 2016 there were 7.2 million subscribers to audio-visual programs provided by a fee; an almost 5% annual growth compared to 2015. Out of these, 60% (4.3 million) come from urban areas, while the other 40% (2.9 million) come from the rural areas. From the 7.2 million subscribers, 4.6 million are subscribed to cable TV, 2.4 million through satellite (DTH) and 89 thousand are subscribed to IP technology (IPTV). The penetration rate was 96%, while the incidence of such services received in digital format has reached 60%.

As already mentioned in our previous studies, we expect numerous changes in the field consumer electronics, considering that Romania has made substantial improvements in mobile-broadband penetration, as well as internet access and use. Moreover, smart TVs are now integrated with internet and web 2.0. features, combining computers with television at the same time. Stay connected to Questia Group and find out more insights on a diversity of subjects.